When pest birds are occupying your building, how do you keep them away? Installing humane bird guards is the answer. Birds like sparrows, starlings and pigeons are often found landing, roosting and nesting on or near office buildings in any large city. These birds are known as pest birds because of the damage and health risks they impose. Not only do their nesting activities cause damage to buildings, so do their droppings. Bird droppings are acidic and can quickly erode building materials costing building owners thousands to repair. The droppings left behind by birds can also be a health hazard; carrying any of 60 plus communicable diseases. Bird roosts can also harbor parasites and flees that can easily invade buildings.
Cleaning Up Bird Droppings
It is important that safety precautions are taken when cleaning up bird droppings and debris.
- During the cleanup, seal heating and cooling air ducts or shut the system down. Only authorized cleanup personnel should be present.
- Healthy individuals should do the cleanup.
- Wear a respirator that can filter particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- Wear disposable protective gloves, hat, coveralls and shoe coverings.
- Moisten the droppings with a light mist of water to keep spores from becoming airborne and keep them wet.
- Put droppings into sealed plastic garbage bags.
- When finished and while still wearing the respirator, remove protective clothing and place it in a plastic bag.
- Wash or shower.
- Check with local government agencies to verify that disposal of the waste is permissible through standard trash pickup.